Saturday, June 14, 2008

Water Retention

Who knew water retention was actually painful?! Not I! I had some water retention with my previous pregnancy, but I don't remember it being like this. Not even close.

First, let me tell you about the droopy, jiggly little chin hanging off the end of my belly, right above my prior Cesarian scar...okay, I've already said it's jiggly and droopy and looks like a little chin. At first, I thought it was just a chubby spot, somewhere that my pre-existing belly fat had migrated to. But, after talking with the doctor, he said it was more likely water retention and I agree. There's no reason my belly fat would be in any pain. If anything accidentally bumps into that spot, I cringe in pain. I've taken to wearing a spandexy thingy around my middle, although I don't know that it's helping anything.

And my legs...my legs actually hurt when Max bumps into those too. I didn't realize how swollen my legs were, but it's obvious, looking at my feet. I have creases in places I shouldn't and the creases (and veins) are missing where they should be. I've been trying to keep my legs elevated, but that's not easy and not that comfortable.

So I decide to do a little "googling" about natural diuretics and learn that there's actually a lot of evidence that shows women who had water retention also had healthier babies. It has to do with blood volume levels. Also, forcing diuretic action can actually backfire and cause more retention and swelling. So it doesn't seem like there's much I can do. I don't typically salt my food, so I can't really cut back there. The most salt intake I have right now is from processed foods and I don't even think I'm eating a lot of those.

Sigh, sigh...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've read you for a while now but rarely commented...but I just wanted to let you know...I feel your pain. My legs, ankles and feet feel internally bruised constantly from the swelling! Hang in thee!